Sure, you might think this is an insane form of corporeal punishment to which no ordinary person would subject themselves. Think back on the days where your hot water heater went down, and you were forced to step into a freezing cold water stream. Brutal.
Well, in order to reap the benefits that I will describe here, you’re going to have to toughen up and just do it. Not one time, not three times, but for at least two weeks straight. Let’s talk about five reasons to wash away your pathetic excuse for manliness.
1. Improved circulation – Think about it. When you injure your muscles, what is the best way to get blood flowing to that particular spot? Applying ice, of course. Well imagine shocking your entire body, inducing an increased surge of blood flow. Over time, this encourages your body to circulate blood to vital organs quite effectively. Let me also say that this is a great way to get rid of a hangover.
2. Weight loss – When your body temperature drops, more energy is needed to bring it back up to acceptable and healthy levels. In doing so, you can burn extra fat just by standing in a cold stream of water for a short time.
3. Accepting and dealing with an uncomfortable situation – My personal favorite. Start your day off with a will power check that just makes you tougher. I guarantee you will hate it at first. You will want to quit. By the end of the first week, you will absolutely embrace it. Life deals us many uncomfortable situations. Train your mind to brush off the stress to keep chugging along.
4. Healthier skin – Hot water can dry out your skin over time, especially if you like your showers piping hot. By changing to a cold shower regiment, you can give your skin a break and leave it feeling smooth and free from the itchy effects of dryness.
5. Temperature regulation – By decreasing your core body temperature, your body can adjust and better regulate overall temperature. This will help to limit heat loss in the long run.
Look, you are either going to try it, or you’re not. Before you hop in, commit to doing push ups to get your heart pumping. Of course it’s uncomfortable, so you’ll learn to adapt until it becomes the norm. The book version of James Bond would start off with a hot shower, and then turn the water to freezing cold for a few minutes. This induced a meditative state that left him reaching for the tux, ready to deliver the next quip.
What a way to enliven the senses. It beats a cup of coffee any day.
Post-shower reading material